Monday, June 14, 2010
¾ cup fresh blueberries
¾ cup fresh blackberries
¾ cup fresh raspberries
2 cups yogurt (vanilla, strawberry, or other favorite flavor)
2 crunchy granola bars
1. Divide berries among 4 parfait dishes, top with ½ cup yogurt.
2. Crumble granola into coarse pieces, sprinkle over fruit and yogurt. Serve immediately.
*This can be made with thawed frozen berries, like the ones from The Red Barn freezer.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Red Barn Strawberry jam
red food coloring (enough to make it a pretty pink color)
Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. If frosting gets too thick you can add a little milk to thin it out. Put on your favorite treat, pictured above is Devil's Food Cake cupcakes.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
½ cup chocolate flavored syrup
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups crisp rice cereal
¼ cup dairy sour cream
1/2 to 1 quart Red Barn *strawberry ice cream (however full you want your pie)
Butter an 8” pie plate; set aside (I used a 9″pie plate). In medium microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate syrup with chocolate chips; microwave on high for 45 seconds or until hot. Stir until smooth. Remove ¼ cup chocolate mixture to small bowl; set aside. Add cereal to remaining chocolate mixture and stir to coat; cool slightly and press mixture evenly into bottom and up the sides of pie plate. Place in freezer for 20 minutes or until firm. Combine reserved ¼ cup of chocolate mixture with sour cream. Spoon half the ice cream into pie, drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with scoops of ice cream if desired and remaining sauce. (I put the whole amount of ice cream in the pie and then drizzled it with the sour cream/chocolate mixture.) Garnish with fresh strawberries before serving if desired.
Cran-Orange Almond Salad
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, washed, dried, and broken into pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings (the thinner the better)
- 2 – 3 Red Barn oranges, peeled and sliced then cut into chunks (You can use 2 cans of mandarin oranges, drained – but the fresh orange is fabulous)
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and cut into julienne strips (optional)
- 1/2 cup Red Barn dried cranberries
Serve tossed with orange dressing and sugared almonds. (recipes below)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Good Seasons dry Italian dressing mix
Combine ingredients in blender or shaker jar.
- 4 ounces slivered almonds
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
Place almonds in a small skillet and sprinkle with sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring until almonds are coated and starting to brown (a nice tan color) and sugar has dissolved. (Be careful not to burn) Allow almonds to cool.